About South Caulfield Hebrew Congregation:
South Caulfield Hebrew Congregation is a vibrant, friendly congregation Modern-Orthodox Synagogue located in the southern suburbs of Melbourne.
We offer daily services, warm welcomes, activities and programs for all ages and a traditional Orthodox Zionist Nusach (liturgy).
Formed in the 1950's, we began holding services in Winston Ave, Caulfield South.
In 1962, the congregation moved to its current position in Leopold St, Caulfield South. Rabbi Daniel and Sarah Rabin joined as the spiritual leaders of the community in the beginning of 2018 and bring a sense of warmth, inspiration and engagement to the community.
Approach to the Bar/Bat Mitzvah Program:
Rabbi Daniel and Sarah Rabin have been involved in running programs for Bar and Bat Mitzvah aged children for many years. They have run programs in South Africa, USA and Australia. After doing research and based on their experience they have brought a unique and all-encompassing approach to the program.
The Program has been designed to be inclusive, educational, interactive, relevant and a lot of fun! It will include aspects based on three pillars. Olam, Zman and Nefesh. The world, time and soul. These three pillars include looking at the young person’s relationship with t themselves and family, the world, and with their Judaism. The program will cover a broad range of aspects in relations to these three pillars through creative and engaging sessions that are very different to how they learn at school.
In addition those who participate will have the opportunity to build close friendships with people from different schools and backgrounds as well as exploring their own identity.
The key elements of this Program are as follows:
- OLAM - Each semester will incorporate an aspect of OLAM. We will explore ideas, complete projects, as well as hear from guests about the different ways we can help the world and try make it a better place. This will include exploring the following subjects:
- Animal world
- Caring for others
- Global impact
- ZMAN- the Torah provides guidance and instruction in all areas of life. Each semester will engage the groups with understanding various aspects of Judaism as well as include some practical and hands on Jewish experiences. This will include covering the following topics:
- Nefesh- The program will incorporate different aspects of personal development and growth as well as give some insight into the spiritual understanding of "who am I?" This will also include hearing from guests and completing some practical projects. Topics will include:
Some highlights will include:
- Preparing Shabbat dinner * Baking Challah * Friday Night Dinner @ the Shule with family.
- Speakers - Israeli Solider * Police officer * Social Media expert * Journalists * Actor * Scribe.
- Trips & Incursions - Kosher restaurant * Kosher Hunt * JHC * Fishing Trip * Mikvah (for girls) * Hike * Volunteering * Candle-making/Kiddush Cup. Matzah Bakery * Shofar Making * Hamantashen Making * Cheesecake making * Candle Making * Shabbaton Getaway
Sessions are age-appropriate. Participants are not treated like little kids nor like University students. Learning is not conducted in a classroom environment rather via creative, fun activities and ways of exploring interesting and relevant topics.
Outline of Sessions:
- Sessions take place through the school year following the Government school calendar but will also not have scheduled classes on Jewish Holidays
- Within each term there are a mix of sessions designed to keep the participants engaged and interested throughout the Program.
- While not specifically part of the Program, students are welcome to join the South Caulfield Shule services on the Friday night or Shabbat morning. Parents and siblings will be welcomed and made to feel part of the Shule family!
Who is the Program Suited To?
- Age / Year Level… The Program is open to girls entering Grade 5 or 6 in 2019 & boys entering Grade 6 or Year 7 in 2019 (i.e. year before, or of, Bar / Bat Mitzvah).
- Outlook … Looking to expand their minds, thoughtful, curious, fun.
- Religious Beliefs… No requirements. Anyone who is open to thinking and learning is more than welcome
Sessions and Logistics:
- Commencing in February 2019
- Mondays 5pm – 6pm
- Term 1, 2 and 3 and 4
- Snacks provided
- Some activities may require participants leaving South Caulfield Hebrew Congregation premises. Parents are always advised when this is.
- Signed and completed enrolment form (including permission slip) and code of conduct are required prior to the commencement of the first session.
Your child's safety is our priority! We ensure the following:
- staff all have working with children checks
- we follow a child protection policy
- parents can drop in at anytime
- our door is always open to discuss any issue
Member Prices: $175 per term
Non-Member Prices: $200 per term.
It is our policy that no one should miss any of our programs due to financial their situation. If you require special consideration please contact the Rabbi Rabin for a confidential discussion on 0430 770 115 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions…Please contact the SCHC office – 9578-5922 or email@example.com
Enrolment… Please complete the Online enrolment form